Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Returning soon

      So I went back to university, and stopped reading a lot. But recently I got back into the mood to devour books again and am back reading continually. With this returns the feeling that I need to think about what I am reading and not just eat up the words and move on.
     That being said I plan to return to writing reviews and thoughts about the books I am reading. I have read 14 books (this doesn't count reading my textbooks... does a textbook count as a book?) since the beginning of the year. So I have some back tracking to do to catch up. A few are series and I will write about them together. Overall I seem to be on a Young Adult kick but whatever.
   The other thing I have found that might be interesting is I have found two android apps for reading books. One is OverDrive media. Its connected to my library (the Toronto Public Library) and it is the DRM company they use for when you borrow digital library books. I found it when I was having trouble getting library books to work on my sony e-reader (it seems that since I used to always use my netbook to put books onto it it doesn't recognize my desktop as being registered to my e-reader or somthing... DRM can be frustrating about 80% of the time...). The second Appt I found is called Scribd. Scribd is a subscription ebook sight (think Netflix for books) its a bit more than Netflix ($8.99... so $1.00 more).
   I haven't had any problems with the OverDrive media appt. It seems to connect to my Library easily, I can read offline fine. It does log out of the library connection but this hasn't affected the books i have downloaded. It also looks like if you had multiple library accounts that you would be able to connect them all but I have no way of testing this.
   Scribd mirror Netflix in its early years a lot. There are a good number of books on it, but most of them you haven't heard of before... This doesn't mean you won't find something worth reading, just you can't be picky (this is why I am using both the library and scribd. I can put on hold specific books at the library, and then read whatever NOW with scribd). There are lots of different kinds of books, if you read a lot its worth checking out the free trial. I read about 6 books on it last month, so kept it for a second month. I am having fun with it.
   Will post reviews soon on Divergent trilogy by Veronica Roth, Septimus Heep series by Angie Sage. I am also (kinda) reading the books that are being talked about in Crash Course Literature 202. I didn't manage to get through the first few that have been (or will be) talked about... (the Odyssey and Oedipus Rex... the odyssey is kinda strange to read, I didn't quite get it. Its not the first time I have tried to read it too. I tried on the cruise once before i had a e-reader... Then theres Hamlet, I have read Hamlet  before and am not really feeling it.) But I will write about some of them soon. The other reviews that are on the way are from free review copies gained through Librarything.

No comments:

Post a Comment